Yacht Charter Greece Qualifications

Experience & Qualifications to Charter a Yacht in Greece

The best way to explore the islands of Greece is on a yacht and whether or not you have sailing experience or sailing qualifications there will be a yacht charter for you. 

Bareboat Yacht Charter

Bareboat yacht charter is a great option for those with previous sailing experience. To charter a yacht bareboat in Greece the skipper is required by Greek law to hold:

  • RYA Day Skipper Practical Sailing Certificate or higher OR
  • ‘International Certificate for Operator of Pleasure Craft’ with Sail endorsement (ICC), OR
  • An equivalent national qualification/certificate

With previous experience as skipper on a similar size yacht the skipper should be assisted by at least one member of crew with some boating experience. The skipper should be competent at handling a yacht in close quarters, anchoring and mooring in varying conditions and be able to use navigation and pilotage skills to plan the day’s sailing and know your position at any time.

More about Bareboat Yacht Charter

Flotilla Sailing Holidays

Joining an Island Sailing Ionian flotilla offers you the chance to sail your own yacht with the back-up of an experienced and knowledgeable lead boat and skipper. As you sail your own yacht you must have previous sailing experience although you'll have the support of the flotilla lead crew and security of being within a group.

Whilst you are part of a flotilla group you will still be the skipper of your own yacht and so the skipper should have the same qualifications or certificate as with a bareboat yacht charter such as RYA Day Skipper or above, the International Certificate of Competence (ICC) or a similar certificate from another country. The skipper should be assisted by at least one member of crew with some boating experience.

More about Flotilla Sailing Holidays

Skippered Yacht Charter or Crewed Yacht Charter

A skippered yacht charter is ideal for those with little or no sailing experience or qualifications. If you do want to learn about how to sail whilst on holiday you can learn as much or as little as you wish. For those wanting to sit back, relax and enjoy the beautiful Greek islands then a skippered or crewed yacht charter is the way to go.

More about Skippered Yacht Charter

More about Crewed Charter

I can sail but don't have a certificate

If you have sailing experience but no sailing certificate there are plenty of options available.

  • Experienced sailors can take the short ICC assessment with a recognised sailing school.
  • Take the Day Skipper course with an RYA sailing school before you come to Greece.
  • Most countries outside of the UK offer similar sailing courses and assessments.

We have good links with sailing schools in the UK and further afield so please contact us for information about training centres offering ICC assessments and RYA Day Skipper courses. For a general chat about your experience and qualifications or if you live outside of the UK and need advice call us on 0330 088 4744 or email contact@island-sailing.com

Other Sailing Qualifications

To sail a yacht bareboat or in a flotilla in Greece the skipper of the yacht should have previous skipper experience on a similar size yacht and a recognised sailing qualification or certificate issued by a recognised sailing organisation or statutory body. We have included some further information about various sailing qualifications from around the world, however these are by no means exhaustive so if you have any questions about sailing qualifications/certificates or sailing experience please don't hesitate to call or email us.

  • Australia: RYA Day Skipper or higher or Yachting Australia Inshore Certificate or higher
  • Canada: CYA Intermediate Cruising Standard or higher or Canadian Pleasure Craft Operator Card  
  • Ireland: ISA Day Skipper or above
  • New Zealand: RYA Day Skipper or higher
  • South Africa: SAS Day Skipper or higher or RYA Day Skipper or higher
  • United Kingdom: RYA Day Skipper or higher
  • USA: Bareboat Chartering Standard (ASA 104) (Intermediate Coastal Cruising) or higher or US Sailing Bareboat Cruising Certification or higher or the International Proficiency Certificate (IPC). If you have sailing experience you can ‘challenge’ our sailing certifications at any US Sailing certified school www.sailingcertification.com.  You will need to be certified through bareboat cruising to meet the requirements for chartering in Europe.  The U.S. offer the equivalent to an ICC called the International Proficiency Certificate (IPC) which is recognised in European waters.


Back to: Chartering a Yacht