This site is operated by Island Sailing Limited (Co No 08725363) trading as “Island Sailing”. References to Island Sailing herein include the above named company.
You can view more information on cookies and details of any cookies that are used on this website by visiting our cookie page.
You can accept or decline cookies at any time by accessing the preference panels from your browser’s main menu (usually found under ‘Edit’, ‘Tools’ or ‘Options’). However, if you choose to remove cookies parts of the site may not work properly or your use of the site may be impaired.
We use third-party application service providers to perform some tracking functions. These companies may use cookie-based information (not including your name, address email address or telephone number) about your visits to this and other web sites in order to measure advertising effectiveness. We may also collect information about your visit to our website, based on your browsing (click stream) activities. This information may include the pages you browse and products and services viewed or booked for example. This helps us to better manage and develop our offers and to provide you with better products and services tailored to your individual interests and needs. We may use this information to measure the entry and exit points of visitors to the site and respective numbers of visitors to various pages and sections of the site and details of searches performed. We may also use this information to measure the usage of advertising banners, other click-throughs from the site. We may disclose information of this nature in aggregate form to third parties but personal information on individual visitors will not be passed on to any third party.
Please note: If you choose to use this site without declining any non-essential cookies, then your use will constitute implied consent to the non-essential cookies that are set.
For the purposes of the Data Protection Act 1998 and the General Data Protection Regulation 2018, Island Sailing, Blackbox, Beech Lane, Wilmslow, SK9 5ER is the Data Controller of your personal information under European Union and UK data protection law.
You can contact us at this address or via our customer service team: email@example.com or by calling us on 0330 088 4744.
It is very important that the information we hold about you is accurate and up to date. Please let us know if at any time your personal information changes by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions or want more details about how we use your personal data, please let us know by contacting us via any of the contact details above.
What information will Island Sailing collect from me?
The information we will typically collect will consist of; your name, email address, postal address, telephone and mobile number, gender, date of birth, card number or other payment method details and your yacht charter preferences as well as information required by port authorities to enable you to charter including passport details. We also collect information about the transactions you undertake through this site, including details of payment cards used.
We explicitly outline that by consenting to receive marketing communications, you are consenting for your personal information to be processed. This is outlined at the point you provide your data and marketing contact consent.
When you first make a reservation or booking you will also be given the option to opt in for email marketing. We will not send you email marketing unless you ask us to, or unless you have asked us to previously. You can opt out of email marketing at any time by clicking the Unsubscribe link at the bottom of any email, or by contacting customer services.
As with all sensitive data we keep all of these details securely in our systems. The exception is payment details which are sent to and managed securely by our payment service provider. We do not keep a record of your credit card.
We may collect information about your computer including, where available, your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration and to report aggregate information to our advertisers. This is statistical data about our users’ browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual.
When will Island Sailing collect information from me?
We will collect information from visitors to the website who provide us with their details in order to receive online newsletters, email and or SMS notifications, register for promotions, provide us with feedback, through the use of online forms, online competitions, email hyperlinks, completion of paper or online surveys, when you email us directly with your details and when you use the online forms including enquiry form, booking form or crew list and transfers form.
We will collect personal information from you when you telephone or email us enquiring about a booking. We will also collect personal information about you when and after you make a confirmed booking, or make a purchase on the telephone, on our website, via email or letter. The provision of this personal information for the specific purpose of a travel booking or purchase is deemed as a contractual requirement in order to fulfil your yacht charter booking. The failure to provide personal data for these purposes will result in a failure to complete the booking process.
How will Island Sailing use my personal information?
Data Protection law says that we can use personal data only if we have a proper reason to do so. This includes sharing it outside Island Sailing. The law says we must have one or more of these reasons:
- To fulfil a contract we have with you
- When it’s our legal duty
- When it’s in our legitimate interest
- When you consent to it.
A legitimate interest is when we have a legitimate business or commercial reason to use your information. But even then, it must not unfairly go against what is right and best for you. If we rely on our legitimate interest, we will tell you what that is.
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- To provide you with our services and information that is relevant to you, and also to deal with your requests and enquiries.
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so.
- To provide you with information related to a booking quote or reservation, or other information you may have requested.
- To process and complete your booking and to carry out our obligations that may arise in connection with any contracts entered into between you and us, or between you and a third-party supplier.
- To notify you about changes to our services, your reservation or booking.
- To contact you for reasons that are relevant to the service you have requested, such as password reminders or information about your reservation or booking.
- To provide you with product and marketing information and offers that we feel may interest you.
- Your data will not be supplied to third parties unless you have given express consent for us to do so. Third party offers will only be sent to you if you opted-in to receive such communications at the point of supplying your personal information.
- Where we provide personalised services, we may analyse the information you supply, so that we can offer a more relevant, tailored service. For instance, we may use information on the type of holiday activities you are interested in to provide personalised recommendations or content on our website. If you agree to receive email offers and charter information, you will receive a personalised service that is tailored to your interests.
- For analysis and processing purposes, to ensure we are offering the best, most relevant service to our customers.
- Through the recruitment process
We will only contact you in the ways that you have opted in to receive communication from us. These may be all or a combination of the following; telephone (mobile and/or landline), SMS, email or direct mail. You can change or update your contact preferences, or withdraw consent at any time, simply by emailing email@example.com or by writing to; Customer Services, Island Sailing, Blackbox, Beech Lane, Wilmslow, SK9 5ER.
We will only contact you with marketing information about goods and services similar to those which were the subject of a previous sale to you, or preferences that you have stated you wish to receive information about, and that we think will be of interest or relevant to you.
We will never share or sell your personal information with third-parties unless you have specifically agreed for us to do so on your behalf. Wherever this is the case, the nature of the business of the third parties will be outlined to you in advance of receiving your permission.
Our site contains links to and from the websites of our principals, suppliers, advertisers and other third parties. If you follow a link to any of these other websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies or for these third-party websites. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
Your Privacy Rights
Within the conditions/limitations set out in applicable law, you have the following privacy rights:
- Right to information. You have the right to obtain further information on our use of your personal data.
- Right of access. You have the right to receive a copy of your personal data.
- Right to rectification. You have the right to ask us to correct your personal data if it is incorrect or incomplete, such as by changing your details on your account.
- Right to be forgotten. You have the right to request the erasure of your data if we do no longer need them.
- Right to restrict processing of personal data. You have the right to request that we suspend our use of your personal data.
- Right to data portability. You have the right to obtain personal data that you have provided to us in a format that enables you to transfer that personal data to another organisation. You may also have the right to have your personal data transferred directly from us to such organisation.
- Right to object to processing of personal data. You have the right to object to our use of your personal data, such as to unsubscribe to marketing emails.
- Right to prevent automated decision making. You have the right not to be subject to automated decision making that creates legal or similar effects (such as automated credit scoring). Currently, we do not make such automated decisions.
Customer Services, Island Sailing, Blackbox, Beech Lane, Wilmslow, SK9 5ER
If you think that we have processed your personal data in a manner that is not in accordance with data protection law, we hope that you contact us, so that we can provide answers and correct any misunderstandings. You have the right to lodge a complaint to the relevant data protection authority (in the UK this is the Information Commissioner’s Office). If you live or work in another EEA country, you may contact the authority in your country.
Where is my personal data stored?
The data that we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the European Economic Area (“EEA”). It may also be processed by organisations operating outside the EEA that work for us or for any of our suppliers (e.g. port authorities, yacht owners and yacht operators, transfer companies etc.).
We will only send your data outside of the European Economic Area (‘EEA’) to:
- Comply with a legal duty
- Provide our products and services
All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers. Any payment transactions will be encrypted using SSL technology. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site and any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
We will only retain your personal data for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements.
We have a legal obligation to keep this data for six years in case we need to refer to it. However, we will usually keep data for up to twelve years since your last interaction: customers who haven’t booked with us for several years sometimes return to us.
How is my information disclosed?
We may disclose your personal information to relevant third parties who will supply the travel and charter arrangements or other services you request, to Government bodies and other authorities to whom we are legally obliged to pass your data (e.g. port authorities of countries you intend to visit) and to relevant third parties for the purpose of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
How can I access the personal data you hold about me?
You have the right to see what personal data we hold about you. The Data Protection Act 1998 and the General Data Protection Regulation 2018, give you the right to check that your personal data is being processed lawfully (“subject access right”). Your subject access right can be exercised in accordance with the Act. To obtain a copy of the personal information we hold about you, please write to use at: Data Controller Island Sailing, Blackbox, Beech Lane, Wilmslow, SK9 5ER.
You will not have to pay a fee to access your personal data (or to exercise any of the other rights). However, we may charge a reasonable fee if your request is clearly unfounded, repetitive or excessive. Alternatively, we may refuse to comply with your request in these circumstances.
We may need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and ensure your right to access your personal data (or to exercise any of your other rights). This is a security measure to ensure that personal data is not disclosed to any person who has no right to receive it. We may also contact you to ask you for further information in relation to your request to speed up our response.
We try to respond to all legitimate requests within one month. Occasionally it may take us longer than a month if your request is particularly complex or you have made a number of requests. In this case, we will notify you and keep you updated.
Do you want us to stop using your personal data?
You have the right to object to certain ways that we use your personal data, or to ask us to delete, remove, or stop using your personal data if there is no need for us to keep it. This is known as the ‘right to object’ and ‘right to erasure’, or the ‘right to be forgotten’. Please note such requests may not always be possible due to legal obligations we may have to keep such records.
In some cases, there will be legitimate, legal, or other official reasons for us to keep your data. But please tell us if you think that we should not be using it.
It may be possible for us to restrict the use of your data. This means that it would only be used for certain activities, such as legal claims or to exercise legal rights. If this was to happen, we would not use or share your information in other ways while it is restricted.
You can ask us to restrict the use of your personal data if:
- It is not accurate
- It has been used unlawfully but you don’t want us to delete it
- It’s not relevant any more, but you want us to keep it for use in legal claims
- You have already asked us to stop using your data but you are waiting for us to tell you if we can keep on using it
If you want to object to how we use your data, ask us to delete it or restrict how we use it, please write to use at; Data Controller Island Sailing, Blackbox, Beech Lane, Wilmslow, SK9 5ER.
Do you want to withdraw your consent or object to when we use our legitimate interest for marketing?
You can withdraw your consent or object to marketing at any time. If this is the case, you can do this by Unsubscribing from an email you receive from us that contains the ‘unsubscribe’ link or by contacting us and informing us via email: firstname.lastname@example.org, writing to us at Data Controller Island Sailing, Beechbox, Beech Lane, Wilmslow, SK9 5ER or calling us on 0330 088 4744
If you withdraw your consent, we may not be able to provide certain products or services to you. If this is so, we will tell you.
What is a service message?
Services messages are messages we need to send to let you know about your booking, or the service we provide for you. These are different to marketing emails we send as they contain information we need to tell you to ensure we can provide you with our services effectively. Examples of these include:
- Booking confirmation, travel and itinerary details
- Changes to terms and conditions and our privacy notice
- Information about requirements to enable you to charter a yacht